English school of Potamos (Astikon)
It has been operating since 1824. In 1825 there are 87 local students and 3 foreigners. As a teacher signs Pavlos Skoufos Pelopidas, who is also a co-assistant. It operates 6 days a week, morning and afternoon. In 1827, 181 students were enrolled under the tutelage of Grigorios Petridis. This year as well as the previous one, there is an increase in the number of students because many had taken refuge in the English-occupied Kythira due to the Greek Revolution from the neighboring Peloponnese.
The School operated with the mutual teaching system and attendance was compulsory. The age of the students of Potamos according to the lists is 7 to 29 years old. The mutual school of Potamos functioned like the other mutual schools of the island until the beginning of the 20th century, when it was founded in Potamos Primary School for Boys and Primary School for Girls. Its building then housed the Greek School of Potamos (School Office) and then the Half High School or “Urban School”, which was later abolished and merged with the High School of Kythira.
The building of the School is very nice, well maintained in relation to the rest and has tiled roofs with nice proportions. The Municipality of Kythira is carrying out repair and promotion works of the monument, which will soon be open to the public as an exhibition space and a place for cultural events.
Access: Asphalt road