The well-preserved building – fortress is located in Kapsali and has six (6), large rooms and a courtyard. It was built by the English surveyor Philip Newton in 1817. From the rescued archive of the Health Service of the time, it seems that it functioned to control and exclude any contagious diseases of the sailors (“quarantine” area), for the ships that arrived in Kythira.
After the unification of the Ionian Islands with Greece, the building was transferred to the Greek State, which in 1932 granted it to a private individual.
In 1998 the building was sold by his heirs to a family of Frenchmen, descendants of Gustave Eiffel, engineer and designer of the tower of the same name in Paris, which maintained and restored it according to the instructions of the Archaeological Service.
Access: Asphalt road