English bridge in Katouni
One of the most important infrastructure projects left by the British in Kythira is the stone bridge in the village of Katouni. It was built during the British occupation and is considered the largest stone bridge in Greece. It was designed by the English engineer John McPhail, when he was serving in Kythira as a Surveyor. He also supervised the work which was completed in 1826.
The bridge is based on 13 arches and 12 windows that are in perfect symmetry, while due to its excellent architecture it can accept loads much larger than those for which it was originally designed. It was part of the road Chora (capital) – Avlemonas (port).
There is a legend about the bridge of Katouni, according to which McPhail built the bridge so that he could see his beloved, a beautiful Tsirigotopoula who lived in Katouni.
Access: Asphalt road