English school of Milapidea
The most beautiful building of the British occupation in Kythira and the most favored by time is the school of Milapidea, which dominates a hill between Livadi, Fatsadika, Kontolianika and Keramoto. It is one of the peer learning schools built on the island by the English under Prefect McPhail. It is officially called “the Peer Learning School in Livadi” and gathered all the children of the surrounding settlements.
The building had a vaulted roof and is impeccably built with perfect proportions and a lot of elegance. It has 11 huge Gothic windows with carved alabaster and above the entrance there is a built-in marble plate regarding its construction.
The School started accepting students from the beginning of July 1825. It was open during the summer months, morning and afternoon. The age of the students was from 5 to 15 years old. Their number in 1825 was 88 children from the surrounding settlements. The school operated until the beginning of the 20th century, when the schools of the surrounding settlements of Livadi, Kontolianika, Karvounada, Pitsinianika, etc. were created.
Access: From the settlement of Mazarakianika and from the main road Livadi – Karvounada with passable dirt roads.