Estavromenos in Chora

The Church of the Estavromenos was built around 1660 by the Bishop of Kythira Philotheos Darmaros. From a written testimony of 1560, it seems that there was a church of Estavromenos before. At the entrance of the Church there is a built-in inscription with the coat of arms of the Darmaros family.

It is the Metropolitan church of Kythera and as an episcopal church it is connected to all the great events that have religious, political and social significance for Kythera. During Great Lent, the Temple hosts, according to an ancient custom, the icon of Myrtidiotissa, or whatever is the most precious relic of Kytherians.

Inside the church, the magnificent wood-carved iconostasis stands out as well as the portable icon with the “Trial of Christ”, (1889), a work of the Kytherian painter Ioannis Stais.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Follow us