Panagia Myrtidiotissa and Panagia
Orfani in the castle of Chora
The large church of 1580, was originally catholic, “the Virgin Mary of the Latins”. Later in 1806 it was inaugurated as an Orthodox church in the name of Myrtidiotissa. Next to it is “Panagia Orfani” of the Kallonas family, in which the icon and the relics of the Monastery of Agarathos of Heraklion, Crete were kept for 300 years, after Crete fell to the Turks. In the church of Myrtidiotissa, an icon of it was kept for about two centuries, for fear of pirates.
From 1842 the icon returned to the pilgrimage of Myrtidia and a copy of 1844 was left in the Castle.
Access: Asphalt road to the entrance and then a stone cobbled path.