The pilgrimage is located three kilometers NW of Mylopotamos, in a lush landscape of cedars, rushes and holm oaks. It has a Temple integrated in an 8m long and 7m wide cave and cells outside it in the NW. From the tradition it is connected with the family of Ioannis Darmaros. In the western part of the cave there is an elongated, low extension with traces of the Holy Table, where the priest used to officiate. The icon of Panagia Eleousa, with the name Orphani, was found in this area. Today this Finding is abandoned.
The icon has a silver lining and is located in the Temple as well as the large icon of Pagia Eleousa, Orphani, with silver lining created by Nikolaos Theofilou Spithakitos in 1837. The Holy Rostrum is three-dimensional, with the katholikon in the middle of Virgin Mary, Agios Georgios on the left and the three Holy Protectors of the Ionian Islands Spyridon, Dionysios and Gerasimos on the right. The Pilgrimage has five cells, one of which is a guest house and a dining room.
The memory of Panagia Orphani is celebrated on the 15th of August.
Access: Asphalt road
CHURCHES AND MONASTERIES OF KYTHIRA
- Agia Barbara
- Agia Elessa
- Agia Moni
- Agioi Akindinoi
- Agioi Anargyroi in Xiroulaki
- Agioi Anargyroi in Paliokastro
- Agios Andreas
- Agios Dimitrios
- Agios Georgios of the Mountain
- Agios Ioannis in Krimnos
- Agios Ioannis Theologos
- Agios Nikolaos Krasas
- Agios Petros
- Agios Vlasios
- Osios Theodoros
- Panagia Myrtidiotissa
- Panagia Myrtidiotissa and Panagia Orfani in the castle of Chora
- Panagia Orfani of Mylopotamos