Panagia Myrtidiotissa and Panagia
Orfani in the castle of Chora
The large church of 1580, was originally catholic, “the Virgin Mary of the Latins”. Later in 1806 it was inaugurated as an Orthodox church in the name of Myrtidiotissa. Next to it is “Panagia Orfani” of the Kallonas family, in which the icon and the relics of the Monastery of Agarathos of Heraklion, Crete were kept for 300 years, after Crete fell to the Turks. In the church of Myrtidiotissa, an icon of it was kept for about two centuries, for fear of pirates.
From 1842 the icon returned to the pilgrimage of Myrtidia and a copy of 1844 was left in the Castle.
Access: Asphalt road to the entrance and then a stone cobbled path.
CHURCHES AND MONASTERIES OF KYTHIRA
- Agia Barbara
- Agia Elessa
- Agia Moni
- Agioi Akindinoi
- Agioi Anargyroi in Xiroulaki
- Agioi Anargyroi in Paliokastro
- Agios Andreas
- Agios Dimitrios
- Agios Georgios of the Mountain
- Agios Ioannis in Krimnos
- Agios Ioannis Theologos
- Agios Nikolaos Krasas
- Agios Petros
- Agios Vlasios
- Osios Theodoros
- Panagia Myrtidiotissa
- Panagia Myrtidiotissa and Panagia Orfani in the castle of Chora
- Panagia Orfani of Mylopotamos