The monastery of the Saint is located just outside Potamos. Osios Theodoros, Protector of Kythira, according to his life, was born in Koroni between the years 870-890. He grew up and studied in Nafplio, where he married and had two children. His desire to become a monk brought him to Rome and then to Monemvasia, where he was locked in a cell of the church of the Virgin of Diakonia. From there he came to Kythira around 921, when the island was “deserted and uninhabited” due to the raids of the Saracens of Crete and he stayed in the old Christian Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus. In 922, on May 12, Osios Theodoros died and shortly after his death sailors passing by Kythira found his relic intact. Three years later, in 925, the people of Monemvasia buried the relic of the saint.
The old church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus was rebuilt by the people of Monemvasia and dedicated to Osios Theodoros. Over time, a monastery was created, which acquired property, which was cultivated by priests, laity and monks.
The chronicle of monk Cheilas from Kythira is a very valuable source for the history of the monastery. It is an exhibition – a reference to the Veniers, which was written around 1460. Around 1630 the Bishop of Kythera Athanasios Valerianos renovated the Temple of the Saint, to which various alterations and additions were made.
Access: Asphalt road
CHURCHES AND MONASTERIES OF KYTHIRA
- Agia Barbara
- Agia Elessa
- Agia Moni
- Agioi Akindinoi
- Agioi Anargyroi in Xiroulaki
- Agioi Anargyroi in Paliokastro
- Agios Andreas
- Agios Dimitrios
- Agios Georgios of the Mountain
- Agios Ioannis in Krimnos
- Agios Ioannis Theologos
- Agios Nikolaos Krasas
- Agios Petros
- Agios Vlasios
- Osios Theodoros
- Panagia Myrtidiotissa
- Panagia Myrtidiotissa and Panagia Orfani in the castle of Chora
- Panagia Orfani of Mylopotamos