Keramouto, or Keramoto, is one of the oldest settlements on Kythira. It is a noble town on the island that is built on two hills, Pano Chorio and Kato Chorio. Because members of aristocratic families who were on the Council of Nobles settled in the village, such as Kasimati and Leontsini, it was called an aristocratic village.
Little by little the town developed in the 18th century and had 4 parishes, that of the Transfiguration of Jesus, that of Agios Ioannis, that of the Holy Trinity and that of The Virgin Mary (Panagia) Karteriani. That of the Transfiguration of Jesus, the central church of Keramoutos, is mentioned in 1566 as a private property of the Kasimatis family. In 1856 it was reformed and enlarged, while in 1969 the new church was inaugurated next to the old one.
The beautiful English bridge that leads to it also stands out in the town. Karamuto today has several restored houses and quaint guest houses.