CASTLE OF PALAIOCHORA-EN

Words by

Castle of Paliochora

In the northeast of the island, well hidden from the rough rocky environment, stands the ruined Byzantine capital of the island, Agios Dimitrios. Despite its natural fortifications, the wealthy and densely populated city did not escape total destruction after the well-planned attack of the commander of the Turkish fleet, Hairedin Barbarossa who pirated and exterminated its inhabitants in 1537. Those who escaped death left and since then the place has been deserted. Relics of the wall, the palace and many churches are preserved from the ruins exposed to the relentless blow of time and weather. 

Agia Barbara in Monemvasian architecture, just outside the city, and the Lady of the Forum (Forum = market) at the entrance of the castle stand out. A place of slaughter, war and plundering is now occupied by a metaphysical silence, interrupted only by the sounds of nature and the winds that reflect in its successive ravines.

Access: Asphalt road and passable dirt road to the parking lot and then a dirt path.

Instagram
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Follow us