Castle of Chora
Built in one of the most strategic points of the southern Aegean, it controls the Cretan, Ionian and Aegean seas. It was named the “eye of Crete and the Greek Seas”. Because of this position, it attracted the interest of each conqueror. A typical example of Venetian fortification art, took its current form in 1503, while there was also the administrative center of the island, where since 1502 it had a Foreman installed.
Recently, restoration and promotion works of the monument were carried out, which emphasized its special importance for the history of the place. The view from the southeast of the castle is wonderful seeing Kapsali, Chytra and Crete.
Access: Asphalt road to the entrance and then a stone cobbled path.
The castle is open daily from 08:00 ‘to 20:00’