Aqueduct (Tank or Fountain)
Another work of the English engineer – Surveyor John McPhail, when he was serving in Kythira. It was built in 1828, together with the other public works of the English, at the site “Patitires”.
The water was intended for the water supply of the ships that arrived in Kapsali, but also for the use of the inhabitants of Kapsali and the passers-by. Until the 1950s, women used to “rinse” the winter clothing with this water, when they stepped on that point on the bank of Kapsali, hence the name “Patitires”. This water came from Vythoula, Lagadi, which ends in Sparagario. Even today, the “manna of water” is preserved, the source, a round building, just below the bridge of Kapsali.
Today, the Nautical Club of Kythira operates its summer educational departments at this point.
Access: Asphalt road